So, what is a crystal?
By description, a crystal is a “piece of a homogeneous solid substance having a natural geometrically regular form with symmetrically arranged plane faces”. This answers almost nothing for those wanting to delve into the world of crystals and precious stones. So we’ll dive deeper.
Crystals are solid structures of atoms which have been regularly formed (creating geometric shapes) in the Earth’s crust or mantle due to certain elements mixing and forming under liquid evaporation, pressure, heat and time. The most common minerals are composed of:
- Silicates – Silica rich minerals such as Quartz, Amethyst and Tourmaline
- Oxides – Ruby and Sapphire are Oxide rich.
- Carbonates – Calcite and Aragonite are examples of Carbonates
These crystallised minerals are brought to the surface through weather or tectonic activity, like floods, earthquakes or volcanoes, or they are discovered as a by-product of the mining industry.
Crystals have recently become very popular with people interested in alternative medicine who are looking to enrich their life. Like all things, there is scepticism over the healing properties of the beautiful formations of minerals which we seem to have grown an obsession with. We’re here to clarify a few frequently asked questions regarding crystals and their uses in alternative medicine and their connection to spirituality and wellness.
Metaphysical Properties of Crystals
It is important to note that crystals and their proposed healing abilities are not proven or recorded by science, but through anecdotal evidence from individuals personal experiences with different types of crystals.
Healing Crystals for Health:
- What is Amethyst used for? Amethyst is used for relieving anxiety and stress, for purifying, and for enhancing willpower.
- What is Bloodstone used for?: Bloodstone is reputed to help circulation and aid with blood issues.
- What is Clear quartz used for?: Clear quartz is a clear crystal considered the “master healer” and believed to support the energetic system as a whole.
- What is Jasper used for?: Jasper is a stone of nurture said to provide aid during times of stress or negativity.
- What is Obsidian used for?: Obsidian is believed to help us to process emotions and bad experiences and help to let go.
Healing Crystals for Wealth:
- What is Citrine used for? Citrine is believed to be a crystal of the sun, increasing enthusiasm, concentration and boosting creativity.
- What is Jade used for? another well-known stone for prosperity and luck.
- What is Sapphire used for? Sapphire is regarded as a stone of prosperity.
- What is Tiger’s Eye used for? Tiger’s Eye is said to provide motivation and reduce fear
- What is Turquoise used for? Turquoise is reputed to balance emotions and bring good fortune.
Healing Crystals for Love:
- What is Moonstone used for? Moonstone is said to increase feelings of inner growth and strength.
- What is Rose Quartz used for? Rose Quartz is regarded as the stone of unconditional love, believed to encourage love and trust in relationships.
- What is Ruby used for? Ruby is believed to support our sensual side and sexuality.
More about popular crystals and their properties:
This white or clear crystal is considered to be a master healer.
It’s said to:
- Improve memory and concentration.
- Store and regulate energy.
- Bring balance to the energetic system.
This stone is often paired with rose quartz to enhance their effects.
This black, shiny stone is believed to be very protective of its carrier.
It’s known by many to:
- Protect against negativity, physical and emotional.
- Clear emotional blockages.
- Aid in finding a true sense of personality.
- Promote strength, compassion and mental clarity.
This stone may also help to process experiences, emotions and issues, freeing the owner of negative blockages.
Pink is a colour associated with love, and that’s what this stone is all about, promoting self love and endless care of others.
It’s said to:
- help promote harmony and trust in relationships.
- Provide comfort and tranquillity during times of negativity.
- encourage love, trust, self-worth and respect.
We all need a little bit more love in our lives, and this is reputed to do just that.
This smooth crystal is known as the supreme nurturer.
It’s reputed to:
- Lift the spirit.
- Improve courage, cognitive speed and confidence.
- Help you through periods of stress by preparing you to face issues head on.
- Protect from and absorb negative energy.
This stone is said to be good for these traits, extra useful when facing important issues.
Welcome sunshine and enthusiasm into your life with the golden coloured Citrine crystal.
It’s believed to:
- Aid in the release of negative feelings, like doubt and fear.
- Improve mindfulness.
- Encourage creativity.
- Promote optimistic views, clarity and motivation.
- Improve wealth.
This blue crystal is said to help heal the mind, body, and soul.
It’s also said to:
- be a good luck charm
- help balance emotions
- support spiritual groundedness
When it comes to the body, it’s said to represent the respiratory, skeletal, and immune systems.
This purple stone is said to be incredibly protective, healing, and purifying.
It’s also reputed to:
- Help rid the owner of negative thoughts.
- Aid restful sleep and to interpret dreams.
- Encourage humility, spiritual prowess and sincerity.
- Promote “good” choices and willpower.
Good for boosting power or motivation, this golden, shimmering stone may be what you’re looking for.
It’s said to do as below:
- Clear body and mind of anxiety and self-doubt.
- Aid in making clear and affirmative decisions.
- Centre you in balance and harmony.
This can be beneficial for career progress or decisions of the heart.
Moonstone is known for new beginnings and for connecting to the divine feminine spirit.
It reputedly can:
- Relieve stress and uncertainty when trying new things.
- Boost inner growth and integrity.
- Encourage good fortune and success.
- Promote positive mindset, inspiration, and intuitiveness.
This powerful healing stone looks incredible under the right light, with deep, rich colour.
It is believed to do the following:
- Ward off negative energies.
- Reduce aggression and impatience
- Encourage new ideas and energy.
- Aid creativity, selflessness and ideas.
Bloodstone is symbolically associated with blood-related bodily processes like menstruation.
This blue stone is regarded as a stone of royalty and wisdom.
It’s said to:
- Bring prosperity, happiness and tranquillity.
- Promote positivity.
- Open the mind to intuition.
- Help with bringing clarity.
This deep red stone is one which really catches the eye.
It’s reputed to:
- Improve vitality and energy.
- Promote sensuality.
- Support intellect.
- Raise self-awareness and honesty.